Sunday 28 November 2021

Work experience is important

Work experience, whether its big or small, should be an integral part of any diploma or degree program. I remember back when I was studying in the Information Systems (IS) department, DWU, we were required to carry out nine (9) weeks of work experience prior to graduation. Although the department and staff had a responsibility of work placement, onus was largely on students to do this during the end-of-year breaks.

It was in fact a course requirement which was later done away with in the program as it no longer appeared on our transcripts during the later years of our study. I suppose the argument that time was that companies and businesses weren't giving students the opportunity for work experience. Or maybe because of the educational reforms that were taking place in the country which had to be reflected in the program requirements and documentations. I don't exactly recall why.

Anyway, I only completed about half of the required 9 weeks. Among the experiences, a week of that wasn't even IT related I was part of a group of young boys painting a fence somewhere in Vidar, on the outskirts of Madang. Nevertheless, the little work experience gained during those semester breaks helped me develop skills and confidence in interpersonal relationships in a professional environment. Character traits I would rely on and I still do in my professional career.

My point: Not everything is learnt in the classroom or lecture hall.

The updated program application for program accreditation or renewal (Form 6) from DHERST now has a section under the program specification documents called "Placements, practical experience or work-integrated learning". Faculty is expected to explain the supervisory and other arrangements for any placements that are part of the programme.

I suppose the gap here has been bridged by the growing number of GDPs however there is still room for improvement.

Pic: The work experience logbook for IS Department we were to fill in.


No comments:

Post a Comment